Saturday, September 14, 2013

Finding My Way: Mid-Twenties Edition

I suppose life is one big cycle of finding our way, isn't it? Just as we find our way in one aspect of life, we arrive at a fork in the road of another aspect. There's that Robert Frost quote about how he can summarize everything he's learned about life with three words; "it goes on." I really like that quote, but I think it can be built upon. I'm no scholar or poet, but my version of Mr. Frost's quote would be this: In seven words I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on and so must we. Because if life goes on-- which it does-- and we don't move along with it, I just don't believe that's a life well-lived.

The last couple of years have been a lesson for me in moving forward with life. As the scriptures say it: to act and not to be acted upon. (2 Ne 2:26) I'll be the first to admit it isn't easy though. Dang fear of the unknown! Truth be told, I submitted my graduate school application on the last day before the deadline because I was paying too much attention to my fears. When it came down to it, though, I knew I had to do it and to believe that even if I were to be rejected, it'd still be a step forward on the path. "All these things shall give thee experience and shall be for thy good," right? (D&C 122:7) I really believe that.

Now, two weeks into my graduate program, I'm so glad I submitted that application! I don't have all the answers and I'm still trying to navigate through life, but I am learning so much. Robert Frost was right, life goes on, but we decide whether we watch it go or hop on and enjoy the ride.

1 comment:

valeri said...

such a great point, schiz. i sure don't want to watch everyone else having the time of their life while i sit on the sideline. you're one smart cookie.